CSA Recipe Sharing

A place for us to all share recipes as we learn to eat from our weekly CSA share

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Recipe from Elizabeth

Hi Patricia,
I wanted to post ASAP before I forgot to. One of the recipes I've made in the past week was Minestrone Soup. It was divine. Since embarking on our journey with the CSA one of my children has become vegetarian, so I've been playing in the kitchen with some new recipes. This recipe isn't entirely vegetarian, but I made it that way.

Minestrone Soup (adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)

1 1/2c. Great Northern Beans
3 tsp. salt
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2lb salt pork diced fine (optional)
1/3c. finely chopped parsley
2 large onions, chopped fine
leaves from 3 stalks celery chopped fine
1 tsp dried thyme, crumbled (I used a handful of fresh sprigs)
4 tomatoes peeled and coarsely chopped
2 carrots diced,
3 stalks celery, diced
3 or more cups beef broth (I used more tomatoes instead)
2c. chopped cabbage
2c. chopped zucchini
4 swiss chard leaves sliced (or about 1/2 bunch spinach)
2tsp dried basil, crumbled or 1tbsp. fresh, chopped
grated parmesan

Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Drain and simmer in 3qts of water with the salt. Cook until tender (about 1-1 1/2 hrs).
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medum heat. Add the salt pork (if using), parsley, onions, celery leaves, and thyme, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, broth, and beans. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage, zucchihi and chard (or spinach). Add water if necessary and simmer for another 20 minutes or so.Stir in the basil and taste to correct seasonings. Serve with parmesan cheese.

I served this with a crusty bread and we had it along with a cheese fondue, which the kids love!

NOTE: the recipe says to puree the beans but I like to leave them whole for texture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your recipes