CSA Recipe Sharing

A place for us to all share recipes as we learn to eat from our weekly CSA share

Monday, May 18, 2009

Beans, Beans the musical fruit...


OK. So I get a bag of beans in my CSA basket this week. I'm thinking, "H'oh boy. Here's a challenge" because a) I'm not a huge fan and b)the couple of times I have tried to make them they were, um, icky. Well.

Since my pal Tim and I are sharing a 1/2 share, I offer to cook them up and bring him half but I make no promises. For this he is grateful because he said otherwise the beans would have sat in his cupboard for eternity. I thought, "Hmmm. The recipe on the back of the package looks pretty idiot proof...I'll give that a try."

Well. I am amazed at how well they turned out! I did make a few adjustments....used maple syrup instead of brown sugar, Meadowbrook Farms bean bacon instead of salt pork and Boate's Apple Cider Vinegar as opposed to regular. The sauce was a little thin for my liking so I added a little corn starch and it was be-you-tif-ful. I did use the slow cooker.

All in all, I'd have to say the experiment was a success. Which is more than I can say about my last use of the slowcooker with half of a cabbage and sausages a couple of weeks ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your recipes