CSA Recipe Sharing

A place for us to all share recipes as we learn to eat from our weekly CSA share

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Zucchini Pasta Bake

At our house, in order to increase variety & also to address the complaints department (... do I have to eat the greens?) my kids each have one night per week to choose our dinner meal. Oscar has Mondays, Amaya has Wednesdays. We have done this for years & originally they were expected to help prepare the meal as well, however that part of the deal has fallen by the wayside a bit. They are welcome to help, but usually they don't want to & I kind of prefer cooking alone.

So, last night was Amaya's night & she wanted pasta & cheese sauce. As we are all allergic to milk & try not to eat a lot of carbs, this is a rare meal in our house, but it was her night after all. I do consider it fairly obvious to toss some veggies in with the noodles, add cheese & bake, but it turned out yummy (how could it not) and I managed to slip in quite a few delicious Tap Root veggies, so I thought I'd post.

I fried a couple of strips of bacon chopped into small pieces (you could easily skip this & just start with some veg. oil)
chopped & added to the bacon a big fistful of garlic scapes
wilted the entire bag of arugula into the bacon drippings
tossed all this together with pre-cooked noodles and put in the bottom of a baking pan
then I sliced my zucchinis very thinly with a mandolin and drizzled the zucchini with a bit of olive oil & salt & arranged the zucchini slices on top of the noodles
I did not make a cheese sauce, though it would have been yummy
I just threw a bunch of crumbled cheese (cheddar & blue) on top of the zucchini with several basil leaves & some salt & pepper
I baked it at 375 F for about 45 min.
My friend Katie & her 2 boys came by for a spontaneous visit & we had a little pasta party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your recipes